Monday, May 13, 2013

PATIENCE WAS GRANTED...

After a failed first attempt at the Vinegar/Steel Wool (because I used coarse instead of fine grade) I have to say patience paid off in the end...I was able to see the rust water this time and once I poured it into a clean container I knew I was onto something wonderful...


The simple solution is Grade #0000, Vinegar and a clean container.  Very important that you pick up the fine wool and not course so that it easily breaks down the fiber when you add the vinegar.
                           
I have to admit that solution is about 2 weeks old, but I saw results after the 2nd day.  You want to make sure you work outside and wear gloves, this solution will stain your hands and the area it touches.  I laid down some aluminum foil and worked on top of an old ironing board....

The clothespins need to be wood and not rust proof protected.  You want the solution to be absorbed into the clothespins.

I used an old butter dish, you want to work with something you don't want.  Pour in  the solution and place your clothespins in to soak, turning them every now and then making sure they are coated on all sides.

They were saturated after 10 minutes and still very light, until I took them out to dry.

I used the lid of the butter dish to let them dry in the sun (remember to lay down foil or something so that the solution does not get all over the place) .
 Once the sun hit the pins, they really darkened up...

Just love the darkness.....once they are completely dry I will embellish them and add magnets and package them up for my booth at Piece By Piece....

I thank my crafty friend Yolanda for introducing me to such a fun DIY project....

Thank you for stopping by
&
Happy Crafting

deirdre{ANNE}
Glittered Roses


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...